Monday, January 10, 2011

25 STATEMENTS OF HIGHLY EFFECTIVE LEADERS

1. This is excellent work.


2. You’re a valuable member of this team.


3. Help me understand how you reached your conclusion. What are your underlying assumptions?


4. While I don’t yet agree with your position, I appreciate you offering a different perspective. Good food for thought.


5. I can see how you feel stuck between the policy and your sense of what the right thing to do is. Where do you think we should go from here?


6. Do you have the resources you need to complete this project?


7. Let me do a listening check. It sounds like you’re saying…


8. That must have taken some courage to tell me. Thanks.


9. I can’t give you my full attention right now, and that’s not fair to you. Let’s schedule a time that’s good for both of us.


10. How are things, generally speaking? How are you doing?


11. I’ve interrupted you. Please continue.


12. When we add that to your plate, what needs to come off?


13. Next time, what could you have done differently? What could I do differently?


14. Do you feel heard?


15. I’m pretty sure this will feel like an unreasonable request, and I wish I didn’t have to make it. Let’s talk about why I’m asking you to do this.


16. It’s a pleasure having you as a colleague.


17. You’ve been putting in a lot of long hours lately. What can we do to restore a sense of life balance?


18. It’s clear you’ve given this a lot of thought.


19. That’s a terrific insight. I’m moving my stake.


20. It feels good knowing I can rely on you.


21. What’s the lesson we should take from this experience?


22. What part of this do you think I should be held accountable, and what part do you think belongs to you?


23. I know you didn’t agree with this decision, and I’m grateful that you gave it your full support after it was made.


24. What priorities are you struggling with right now, and how can I help?


25. I’ve got some ideas on how you might proceed, and I want to hear yours as well.


What these comments tend to have in common is:


  * They convey the experience of being heard
  * They demonstrate authentic caring
  * They acknowledge that the leader doesn’t always know everything.
  * They reveal a leader who believes his or her staff is comprised of real people, who are actual grown ups.


What would you add to the list?




Source: GaryWinters.com

By Project RiseUp2010 with 1 comment

1 comments:

I'm glad to have found this post as its such an interesting one! I am always on the lookout for quality posts and articles so I suppose I'm lucky to have found this! I hope you will be adding more in the future about leadership. Thanks !!!

Post a Comment